Reklama | Kontakt |
| more

Tourist routes short route Old Town

| |
  
  • The Old Town Market – a marketplace of dimensions 109x104m with many valuable monuments all around. The former commercial centre.

  • The Old Town Hall – one of the most outstanding achievements of medieval Gothic architecture in Europe dating from 13th century, rebuilt in renaissance style in early 17th. The former administrative centre. Nowadays it houses the District Museum in Torun. From the tower (40 m) magnificent panorama of Torun can be admired.

  • Artus Court (Old Town Market no. 6) – erected in 1891 in renaissance style in the former site of Gothic Artus Court and two citizens’ houses. Today it is the seat of Artus Court Cultural Centre.

    Ratusz Torun Gate Torun Torun Cathedral

  • Nicholas Copernicus Monument – unveiled in 1853 in front of the Old Town Hall.

  • A House under the Star (Old Town Market no. 35) – one of the most beautiful apartment houses in Torun. It was erected in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in late 17th century in baroque style. Nowadays it hosts Museum of Far East Art.

  • Neoghotic bulding of the Post Office from the end of 19th century (Old Town Market no. 15)

  • Holy Spirit’s church (Old Town Market) – built in 18th century as an evangelist church. Since 1945 it belongs to the jesuit order and is also referred to as the academic church.

  • Rafter's Monument – erected in 1914 in the western part of the Old Town Marketplace. The fountain-monument refers to a legend which tells of a rafter who, with his beautiful fiddle playing, enchanted frogs residing in the town and led them outside the town walls into the suburbs of Torun.

  • St Mary’s church (St Mary’s Street) – a franciscan church from 13th century, thoroughly rebuilt in 14th century. A mausoleum of princess Anna Wazowna (sister of the King of Poland, Zygmunt III Waza), dating from 1636.

  • Cezar's Arch (Piekary Street no. 37/39) – three apartment houses in which arched passages have been built to allow easy traffic.

  • The Leaning Tower (Pod Krzywa Wieza Street) – a city tower from 14th century which owes its name to its substantial vertical deviation (1.40 m).

  • Granary (Piekary Street no. 2) – built in the first half of 17th century in baroque style, in the place of a gothic granary. It is ranked as one of the largest and most interesting buildings of this kind in Poland.

  • Granary (Piekary Street no. 4) – Gothic granary from the second half of 14th century, representing the high level of warehousing architecture from the period when trade flourished in Torun.

  • Monastery Gate (Holy Spirit’s Street) – one of the eight gates which guarded the entrance to the Old Town in the Middle Ages.

  • Copernicus House (Kopernika Street no. 15 & 17) – a place of birth of famous astronomer. Today – Museum of Copernicus House.

  • St Johns’ Cathedral (Zeglarska Street) – cathedral of St John the Baptiser and St John the Evangelist, the oldest Gothic church in the Land of Chelmno (its roots dates from the first half of 13th century), a place of baptism of Nicholas Copernicus. It has one of the biggest bells in Poland named “Tuba Dei” (“God’s Trumpet).

  • Dambski Palace (Zeglarska Street no. 8) – built in late 17th century in the place of two gothic apartment houses. It is distinguished by beautiful baroque facade covered with decorative stucco arabesques and an impressive renovated portal.

  • Sailors Gate (Zeglarska Street) – one of the Torun Old Town gates facing the Vistula River bank, closes a street of the same name.

  • Red Granary – Esken House (Lazienna Street no. 16) – dating from late 14th century and rebuilt in the second half of 16th century. It used to be a palace of a wealthy merchant family from Torun - the Eskens. Nowadays it hosts a division of the District Museum in Torun.

  • Apartment houses (Lazienna Street no. 18 & no. 20) – no. 18, the former seat of "The Beehive" (Zum Bienenkorb) Freemasons’ Lodge (founded in 1793), today is the seat of the diocese of Torun. No. 20 is a neoclassical apartment house from late 19th century, called a “Pope’s House” because Pope John Paul II rested here during his visit to Torun on 7 June 1999.

  • Apartment house (Lazienna Street no. 22) – so far the most beautiful apartment house in Torun. It is the only or one of few medieval apartment houses with lavish ornamentation on the facade, inside the house and in the courtyard apartments.

  • Apartment house (Lazienna Street no. 28) – a massive apartment house composed of two gothic apartment houses (joined in 19th century) and with the facade which in early 20th century was decorated in so called "historicism" style. Nowadays it is called a "blue angels’ house" after the winged angels’ heads placed under first floor windows.

  • Fragment of Szeroka Street with numerous apartments houses from 19th century.

     

  • Things to do in Torun

    PDF Guide to Torun

    To receive the free PDF guide to
    the best of Torun please fill in
    the short form:

    email:

    country:

    Map of Torun

    Map of Torun

    Torun Map | Map of Torun Poland

    Plan your trip with our interactive Torun Map section. Major routes through and around Torun city.

    Torun ads